Wednesday, September 9, 2020

The Moleson, Switzerland

The covid-19 pandemic put the kibosh on planned summer cycling trips in Europe. I'm still cycling but have limited rides to day trips near my home base of Lausanne in southern Switzerland. Unfortunately my bike and I have pretty much been to every nook and cranny in the region. Today though I'm cycling somewhere I haven't been: Moleson mountain in the pre-Alps or as it's known in Switzerland: The Moleson. 

It's early morning and I'm in the visitor parking lot of a Gruyere cheese tourist center. Gruyere is probably Switzerland's best known exported cheese and can found in most supermarkets in the USA. When I cycle past the parking lot again later in the day it should be packed with cars and tour buses---then again maybe not thanks to covid-19.  Close by up on a hill stands Gruyeres castle along with the beautiful walled-in medieval village of Gruyeres. I've posted pictures of the castle quite a few times in the past. Anyway, about 20 miles up a road is the ritzy ski resort of Gstaad and a half dozen miles in another direction you'll find the factory for Callier chocolate, which has been churning out super premium chocolate since 1898. So, normally tour buses do a day trip taking in the chocolate factory, Gruyeres castle and medieval village, this cheese center and, Gstaad.  
Heading up the road to Moleson village I first gotta stop and fill my water bottle with cold water from this fountain. I've talked about this a zillion times but these water fountains are one of the things that make Switzerland unique. As I'm standing taking a gulp of water I look over to my right and on the other side of the road there's tiny little chapel. Continue next photo.  
Wow, according to the date above the entrance it has been here since 1252.  I love checking out cathedrals, churches & chapels and estimate I've gone inside more than several thousands during my travels through Europe. Sometimes these little chapels will contain extraordinary ceiling frescoes or stunning stained glass windows. About a dozen years ago I was biking up a mountain road and passed a village with chapel on the side of the road----similar to this one but about three times bigger. It was the middle of summer, hot and I was biking shirtless. So, I hopped off my bike, flung open the door and went inside for a quick look/see. There in the middle of the aisle was an open casket and inside the casket was an old man dressed in his Sunday best. Startled, I looked around and saw nary a soul. I then proceeded to talk to the dead man---telling him I meant no disrespect and apologized for not wearing a shirt.   
Though it's a chilly early September morning (in the low 50's) the sign tells me it's time for the shirt to come off as it'll be a belly busting ride. 
You can see the peak of The Moleson (don't forget you can click on the image to enlarge it). There's a building atop it. It's a meteorological station. 
This is the funicular station in Moleson village. You take the funicular halfway up, then switch to a cable car that will whisk you up to the meteorological station. 
About 200 people live in Moleson village and you can see some of the chalets in the distance.
On the right side of the photo, above the tree tops you can make out Gruyeres castle in the distance.
Using my zoom lens you have a better view of the castle. 
This 17th century building in Moleson village houses a restaurant and an authentic old-fashion cheese making facility.
Yep,  you can watch guys make cheese in copper vats the same way they did several hundred years ago. However, eagle-eye viewers might see something out of place: the plastic bottle of Coca-Cola to the right of the cheese maker. 
This a luge run in Moleson village.
This photo is from a previous visit to medieval Gruyeres village with the castle in the background. The cobblestone streets make it less than enjoyable for cyclists.   
A photo of the nearby Callier chocolate factory (since 1898) from a post several years ago.  


No comments:

Post a Comment