Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Mons & Namur, Belgium plus Longwy & Nancy, France

After taking the Eurostar from London to Brussels my bike and I immediately hop on a train to Mons (population 95,000). I've been to Brussels several times and it's not a favorite of mine. This is Mon's main square.
Built in the 17th century, this belfry is a Unesco World Heritage site. Unfortunately, myself and a half-dozen other frustrated tourists are ticked off because the gate leading up to the base of the tower is locked.
 This is pretty weird. Check out the mish-mash down the street.
 It's some kind of art installation.
 Some parts of the wood are painted different colors.
The primary reason for making a stop in Namur, Belgium (population 110,000)? To see the city's medieval fortifications. King Louis XIV of France invaded Namur in 1692 and then called in military engineering genius Vauban to rebuild the citadel. As I've mentioned many times I'm a big fan of Vaudan's works.  
 Side view of the citadel which overlooks Namur and the Meuse river.
Another view of citadel from the Sambre river. Namur is the confluence of the Meuse and Sambre rivers making it of strategic military importance back then.
The first time I saw Longwy on a map I thought it was a misspelling. Nope, it's spelled Longwy not Longway but, pronounced Longway---go figure. I even took this photo for proof. My sole reason for coming to this out-this-way, down-on-its-luck town of 15,000 is to see the remain's of Vaudan's ramparts from 1678. Not to be though because I can't find 'em and nobody in town knows what I'm talking about!  
Longwy is set in a narrow valley. Cycling along I scan heavily forested ridge areas surrounding the town for a possible sighting of medieval fortifications. Nothing, nada, zilch.  One local thinks there's something about an hour away. Jeez, there's no tourist office. I leave frustrated and thinking this town needs to get it act together. Who knows how many millions (?), thousands (?) okay maybe a couple dozen are out there like me who like visiting the incredible works of Vauban, the French military engineer.
I've been to Nancy (population 106,000) several times and it's not worth a visit except for Place Stanislas and, a fantastic patisserie a block away.
Built in 1752, Place Stanislas is a square designated an Unesco World Heritage site and is named after the Polish king Stanislas I of Poland, that's a statue of him in the previous photo. What the heck is this Polish king doing in France? He was father-in-law of the French King Louis XV.
Ornate iron railings with gold trim line Place Stanislas and gives the square its imperial look.

No comments:

Post a Comment