Sunday, September 11, 2022

Zurich, Switzerland

 

My bike and I have been to Zurich (population 415,000) dozens of times. My first order of business: making a stop at my favorite Italian pastry shop. Though not very big, Zurich has a Little Italy area.
As usual I get several cannoli.
Google recently moved into a complex of office buildings in downtown Zurich right next to the main train station.
No giant Google signs atop the buildings but, small signs near the building entrances. Almost 5,000 Google employees work in these buildings-the largest number of employees on one site--other than their head office/campus in California.
When I say the Google complex is right next to Zurich's main train station-I'm not kidding. Those are several of the Google buildings. One of the busiest train stations in Europe, I'm sure that was factored into Google's decision. It's a three minute walk to the station and a train will have you arriving underneath Zurich's airport in 15 minutes. 
Cycling around Zurich neighborhoods I'm always amazed at the outdoor sculptures people have in their yards. Here's a metal wind-surfer.
I'd like to know why the occupant of this apartment has a wood sculpture of a vulture on the balcony. Why not an eagle? 
These wood carvings reside atop someone's garage. Looks like they're checking out people passing by. 
This is very strange. I'm cycling past a farm and see all these high-heel women's shoes nailed onto the wooden fence posts. I count a dozen. 
One of the posts sports three pairs of men's shoes. Is it a family squabble? A prank? A his and hers territory dispute? I do know each shoe is filled with cobwebs and who knows what else. 
This farmer has set-up this self-service display along a cycling route. Those are muffins in the basket. I past it the next day and saw homemade bread. Check out the turquoise cash box--it's not bolted down. 
I see lots of ladders for cats but, this one is unusual. How do I know it's a cat ladder? If you look closely at the top (beneath the greenery) there's a black and white cat looking at you. I tried coaxing it down the ladder but if gave me one of those "who the hell are you?" looks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment