Thursday, July 18, 2024

Como, Italy


I visited Como (population 84,000) about 10 years ago and remember not being too impressed. The lakefront area was rundown and there wasn't much of an old town area in the city center. Of course I had to check out the area because celebrities like George Clooney and Madonna bought villas on the lake. 

Since that first visit I'd read many articles talking about the beauty of the place and how many people placed Como/Lake Como on their "bucket" lists.  Could I have been mistaken in brushing off the place?  I'm back for a second visit. My verdict?  Still way overrated.  

They're finally working on renovating the rundown lakefront promenade.    
This tower and section of wall is all that remains of the Como' medieval past.

During my visit 10 years ago I partially cycled around the lake (the third largest in Italy) to Bellagio (about 20 miles), then hopped on a ferry to the other side the lake and cycled another 20 miles to Lugano (population 63,000) in Switzerland. I remember the two lane road snaking around the lake on the Como side had potholes and you couldn't see any of the fancy villas due to high walls and shrubbery. The best way to see the villas would be to hop on the many ferries plying the lake.

I think Lake Garda and Lake Maggiore, both bigger than Lake Como and not that far away, are more picturesque. 

This is a rear view of Como Cathedral. 
It's early morning (8AM) and the sun isn't all the way up in Como.
This is the main entry into Como Cathedral. There's no square out front so you can't stand back and snap a full photo view. 


Shopping street in Como city center


View down the street from Como Cathedral.

No comments:

Post a Comment