Saturday, September 19, 2026

Fort Pre Giroud, Les Clees Castle, SICPA, Switzerland (Part 2)

After leaving Fort Pre Giroud I cycle through Vallorbe (population 3,100). The Orbe river flows through the center of town.
 
Another view of Orbe river running through town. 

Remember Fort Pre Giroud? I'm now on the other side of the valley and using my zoom lens. See the three windmills? If you look below the middle windmill and to the left you can barely make out the fort. 
I'm still way up high with the valley floor in the distance.
Finding Les Clees Castle requires going down a deep gorge. You can see the castle tower in the distance. 
Les Clees Castle peeking behind the village church.  
There's no road going up the the castle only this steep (slippery) dirt pathway.
Les Clees Castle dates back to 1134. The keep (fortified tower) is all that's left of the castle.
Grounds of the castle. It's privately-owned and someone lives in the small building on the right.
View from castle grounds. About 150 inhabitants live in the village of Les Clees 

Pathway going down from castle. 



I'm passing through the farming town of Chavornay (population 3,100). It's a bedroom community of Lausanne which lies about a dozen miles away. So, what's the deal with this photo? It's a factory complex for SICPA.

When I was cycling around the world visiting corporate headquarters I visited their head office close to Lausanne in 2002. Was surprised they even met with me as they are famously secretive. 

What does SICPA do?  They make ink here. Not just any ink but security ink used in printing banknotes. In fact, their ink (depends who you talk to) is used in something like 85% of the world's banknotes (including the US dollar). 

Back in 2002 revenues were estimated to be $800 million with 3,700 employees. The company was founded in 1927 by Maurice Amon. 

I read somewhere this factory complex was opened in 1993 and evidently was a big deal in Chavornay as the street is named after Albert Amon (see street sign in photo), son of the founder.

Anyway, the reason I'm telling you all this is because for years I cycled by the place and there was zero signage anyplace on the property. (did I mention the company being secretive?).  

This is the rear of SICPA's factory/plant complex. 

Printing ink has been good to the Amon family as the family's wealth has been estimated to be over $2 billion dollars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment