Friday, September 10, 2021

Baulmes and Orbe, Switzerland

I'm in the foothills of the Jura Mountains and I'm a happy cyclist 'cause it's a road I've never traversed before. The church in this village is a real beauty. 
Of course I have to stop and check out the church. The majority of the time when checking out churches the church doors will be open but, not this time. I do see the date "1904" over the entrance.  
I'm approaching the village of Baulmes (population 1,000).
If you look closely---way up near the top of the ridge you can see a train passing by as it zig-zags its way up through the mountain range.
Wow, I bet the city hall building of Baulmes had the same architect as the church building I passed a few miles earlier. 
In the center of Baulmes stands this structure. What was/is it?
Here's a rear view of the building. Iron bars cover all the windows. My guess--this was the local jail.
Adjacent to the "jail" I spot these two cars gathering dust in someone's garage. One's a Mercedes and the white with red trim car is a Hillman. I googled and found Hillman was a British car manufacturer with 1976 being the last year they made cars. So, this Hillman has to be at least 45 years old.    
The church in Baulmes occupies the highest point. This is the view from the adjacent cemetery. Looking way out in the distance there's a dramatic drop-off to the valley floor.  
Still at the church, I look another way and see what looks to be a fortified home with something in the yard so, off I go.
Well, what do you know, someone has carved out Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs along with mushrooms. The sign says they're for sale. However, unless my math or eyes are incorrect, I count only six dwarfs!
What's cool about Baulmes is that posted all around the village are photos of early days. From what I can figure out, a woman in 1904 went around the village taking pictures. Don't know if they're up year round and I just happen to catch an exhibition. The entire village of Baulmes is listed in the Inventory of Swiss Heritage Sites. 
Those are wine vineyards on the way to Orbe.
Downtown Orbe (population 7,000)
Fountain in front of Orbe's city hall.
Gotta go up this road to check out that medieval tower in Orbe's old town. 
The Swiss Reformed Church of Notre-Dame in the old town area dates back to the 1500's. 
Out in the distance you can see a giant chimney. That's a Nestle manufacturing complex employing 500 people. What's manufactured there? Nescafe, the company's flagship coffee brand. You can smell it several miles away.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment