Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Gex, France (Part1)

Before heading to Gex I'm making a pit stop in Saint-Genis-Pouilly. Why? To grab some goodies at Sebastien Brocard, one of the best pastry and chocolate shops in the whole wide world. 

Saint-Genis-Pouilly, France (population 13,000) sits at the foot of the Jura Mountains. Sebastien Brocard is a member  of Relais Desserts Association, an organization of about 100 pastry chefs and chocolate makers from 19 countries with the overwhelming majority located in France. Supposedly they're the best of the best. I've been to about 20 and found several of them to be only so-so. 

 On the right side see the row of what looks to be round containers with brown topping? That's fondant au chocolat and it has a yummy fudge center.  I make quick work of it. 
My favorite pastry is in the right corner: chocolate almond croissants. Most places stick some chocolate in the center with almond pieces atop. Here, gooey almond paste is layered atop the chocolate inside the croissant making it dangerously good!  
For years macarons were my "go to" sweet treat. 

I'm in the Jura Mountains and approaching Gex, population 13,000. 


It's market day in Gex and several streets are blocked off.
Whoa, the smell from those chickens is intoxicating. It's lunchtime so I buy one. The problem though is with no utensils/plates it's a very messy proposition pulling apart and eating with my hands. However, I've done this many a time and in the saddlebags on my bike there's a bar of soap for washing up afterwards. I still need to find a water fountain before pigging out. 
Jeez, Gex has about a half-dozen water fountains and every one has a red sign posted saying "non potable"---meaning it's not drinkable. How is this possible? I'm way up in the Jura Mountains and shouldn't this mountain water be drinkable? This fountain dates back to 1746. How long ago did this become undrinkable? 


I see this shop on a side street in Gex. It's closed for lunch but I spot guitars and a couple pianos inside.


Love these figurines. Don't know the price. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment