Rolex introduced the Tudor brand back in 1946 but wasn't until 2009 when a major rebranding was launched. It has been called a "poor man's Rolex" for those that can't afford a Rolex.
Connected to the red Tudor building is this building with the name Kenissi on the side.Kenissi (founded in 2016) manufactures mechanical movements for watches and is 80% owned by Tudor and 20% by Chanel.
Backside view of Tudor buildings.I bet this grey building complex --especially the narrow turn-of-the-century structure in the rear with lots of windows was once the home of a watch company. Wouldn't be surprised if it was formerly built/owned/occupied by Zenith watches as the Zenith factory is on the same side of the street down the block. Who occupies it now?
According to this sign near the entrance it's COSC. If you recall from the previous post that COSC does testing on the accuracy of watches and issues a certificate if they pass muster.
COSC operates three locations.
I'm heading out of Le Locle via a mountain route I've never taken before. Up on the right you can see a large building and it turns out to be a new business park with other buildings. Better check it out.
I wonder who occupies this place?
Whoa, it's a watch manufacturing facility for Audemars Piguet.
Outside the entrance to Audemars Piguet there's this rabbit sculpture and he looks to be checking the time on a pocket watch.
To the left of Audemars Piguet is this building. Hmm, I bet it's a watch company.
Closer inspection and the sign says it's a Cartier jewelry manufacturing facility.
From the rear of the Cartier building I snap this photo. See that giant cream colored splotch?
Here's a better look using the camera zoom. They have been mining the side of the mountain. Anyway, to the left is Col des Roches, a mountain pass. That deep narrow gorge has a road and train tracks passing though. On the other side you're in France.
Cycling out the valley floor I pass this WW2 pillbox. Switzerland was worried Germany would invade via France----using that road through the gorge I showed you in the previous photo.
I wonder who occupies this place?
Whoa, it's a watch manufacturing facility for Audemars Piguet.
Outside the entrance to Audemars Piguet there's this rabbit sculpture and he looks to be checking the time on a pocket watch.
To the left of Audemars Piguet is this building. Hmm, I bet it's a watch company.
Closer inspection and the sign says it's a Cartier jewelry manufacturing facility.
From the rear of the Cartier building I snap this photo. See that giant cream colored splotch?
Here's a better look using the camera zoom. They have been mining the side of the mountain. Anyway, to the left is Col des Roches, a mountain pass. That deep narrow gorge has a road and train tracks passing though. On the other side you're in France.
Cycling out the valley floor I pass this WW2 pillbox. Switzerland was worried Germany would invade via France----using that road through the gorge I showed you in the previous photo.
I wonder how much of an obstacle this pillbox would have been to the Germans. To the right is mountainside and to the left is a steep cliff---so they couldn't bypass it. Could a German tank have taken out the pillbox? A bazooka or flame thrower? A German plane wouldn't work with the trees and mountainside so close. Would it come down to German infantry men having to charge the pillbox by foot and tossing grenades into the openings. There's an opening on each side of the pillbox.
What kind of guns did the Swiss have? Machine guns only? If they saw a German tank rumbling up the road would they have a bazooka to take it out?
That's the stuff I'm thinking about as I make my way up the mountain.
So after reaching the mountain pass I head down the other side and spot two more pillboxes (the second is up the road on the right).
Very interesting like always and great pictures!
ReplyDelete