Sunday, August 25, 2024

Grenoble, France

 

I've been following the Isere River as I make my way to Grenoble (population 160,000). Situated at the foot of the French Alps, Grenoble was the host city of the 1968 Winter Olympics. Don't know why the river is an ugly grey color. Entering Grenoble I see these strange cable cars zipping across the river. Where are they going?

Whoa, the cable cars are heading way the heck up to that fortress. Turns out that's Fort de La Bastille, built between 1822-1823, it's the biggest tourist attraction in the region. I gotta figure out how to cycle up there.  
That's Porte de France, one of the old city gates and dates back to 1620. 
Here's a view from Bastille fortress.
I'm waiting for the cable cars to show up. Cable cars started making the trip back in 1934. Over 600,000 visitors visited this place last year.

The cable cars have a nickname: bubbles. 
The place is swarming with visitors. 
That's an entrance to a military museum--which is manned by active military personnel. The city of Grenoble has owned the site since 1970.  
Another view from Bastille fortress.
Wow, I like this impressive sculpture. Known as the Lion fountain it dates back to 1843.
That snake looks pretty mad.


The lion looks pretty intense. 






No comments:

Post a Comment