Thursday, August 1, 2024

Neuchatel/Lake Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Part 3)


 In the USA we have states, in Switzerland they have cantons (27 of 'em). Neuchatel (population 33,000) is the capital of the Canton Neuchâtel. Way up on a very steep hill overlooking the old town is Neuchatel Castle, which houses offices of the cantonal government. 

On the left, that's a side entrance to Collegiale, a Gothic church dating back to the 11th century. To the right in the photo is Neuchatel Castle, which dates back to the 12th century. 


Here's a partial view of Neuchatel Castle. 

This is the entrance to Neuchatel Castle. What's extraordinary is the enclosed walkway structure to the left of the entrance. Why? It connects to Collegiale church. Don't think back in medieval times they practiced separation of church and government.
That medieval tower is the old prison.
Parts of medieval walls can still be seen.
Neuchatel has over 140 street fountains. The vast majority aren't fancy as the one's I've posted. This is some kind of lion with wings.
Here's a side view of the fearsome-looking creature.
Street view in downtown Neuchatel.
I strike gold at this pastry/sandwhich shop.
I grabbed a roast beef along with a ham sandwich and both were delicious. 

As you know I have a sweet tooth and one of my favorites is a Paris Brest. The third row from the left you see three Paris Brest. Similar to cream puffs, Paris Brest are baked with almonds and then filled with a praline cream and, in this case a sprinkling of crunchy hazelnuts are added. I've tasted hundreds of Paris Brests and these are absolutely magnificent! 

Paris Brest is a famous one day bike ride from Paris to the port city of Brest in Northern France. In 1910 a French pastry chef came up with this treat. 
Back in the summers of 2003 and 2004 I cycled around Switzerland visiting over 100 Swiss watch companies. I remember receiving a bizarre reception here at Bulgari. Back then I checked in with the two receptionists to find out who ended up with my letter of introduction sent weeks earlier.  I was repeatedly told to contact the head office in Rome AND, was told no watches were manufactured here. 
A week later I was visiting another watch company and met a woman who had worked for Bulgari for years. I told her what happened to me and she was dumbfounded. She said over 400 employees worked in the building making watches.  
This is a photo from the rear of the building as I wanted to include the trash dumpster. I hold no grudges. 

Here's the front entrance to Bulgari. To read the story of my visit back in 2004 go to my website: corporatetrivia.com, then click on the "watches & chocolate" heading, then scroll down.









No comments:

Post a Comment